What are the steps that any worker can take to become truly indispensable?
- Make sure that the job you have is truly need in the company; most people need to feel that what they do actually matters.
- Act like any entrepreneur and your behavior will enable you to be more productive.
- Take responsibility for making good things in your work environment to happen.
- Find ways to improve your skills and learn new ones.
- Know your industry by attending conferences, belonging to associations and networking.
- Look for a person in your industry that has the practices that you value and model the behavior.
- Get feedback from people in your industry that you respect.
- Help to create synergy by learning to work with others.
- Think win/win for when everyone wins the environment is more positive.
- Take positive risks – that is controlled risks. Do not be afraid of failure.
- Be a problem solver by being service oriented.
- Balance your life by knowing what is important and what is not.
- Prioritize and honor your commitments.
Your future depends on you taking charge of your own career. In some companies, there are no titles, no corner offices, and no clear hierarchy. You are required to be not only an individual contributor, but also a team member and an innovator.
Your job description may change from day to day; in fact, your "job" may be simply a series of projects involving people from other departments, even outside contractors.
First, recognize that change is the only constant in life. You may have escaped losing your job in a downsizing, but now you work overtime to compensate for all those bodies that are no longer there. Your college degree may have gotten you your job, but now you realize your skills is what will keep you your job. You may even be thinking about switching careers to find work that is more in line with your chosen values.
Contact us for free assistance and redefining your career potential.
Phone: (405) 516-1818
Fax (405) 516-1817
Or send mail to:
5100 North Brookline Suite #300
Oklahoma City, OK 73112-3623